A Review of A Twist in Time by Julie McElwain


5/5 Stars


Former FBI Kendra Donovan is stuck in the year 1815 and her attempts to travel back home to the 21st century have failed, leaving her to depend on her friend, The Duke of Aldridge. Though, soon it seems that returning back to the 21st century is the least of Kendra’s problems as the Duke’s nephew- and also Kendra’s lover and confident- Alec, the Marquis of Sutcliffe is suspected of the murder of his former mistress. Joining forces with the Bow Street Runner, Sam Kelley, yet again, it seems that the team used to solve the murder at the castle is back together to solve the mystery of Lady Dover’s murder. Though, it would seem that not only does Lady Dover have her own secrets, but much of London also does. 


Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, where to start? I feel like I find myself saying this a lot. Though it is nothing but praise for author Julie McElwain. Let me start by saying that I am completely and utterly obsessed with this book series. I mean, I just finished the second book, and I’m already wondering when the sixth one comes out. That’s saying a lot, because I don’t think I’ve loved a book series as much as this one in a long time. Not only is the writing excellent, the book is a combination of a few of my favourite things. Time travel, Regency period drama, mysteries, and a kick ass protagonist.


Stuck in 1815, Kendra is sick of being treated like a frail woman who is unable to do anything. Even more, she despises the politeness and rules of society and propriety. She finds that she does not belong. Though, there is some character growth as eventually, Kendra stops thinking of herself as a “freak” and slowly starts to adapt to the 19th century. 


Joining forces with The Duke of Aldridge, Bow Street Runner Sam Kelley, the Marquis of Sutcliffe- Alec, and eventually, her new found friend Rebecca, the group sets out the solve the mystery of the murder of Alec’s former mistress, Lady Cordelia Dover. Being stabbed with a stilleto more than forty times and having her face partly sawed of in a gruesome manner, former FBI agent, Kendra and her new found team, work together to solve the murder, revealing quite a few secrets along the way. Everything in London isn’t as it seems, especially through the busy season. 


Like I said, I thoroughly enjoy this series, as I type this, I’m practically vibrating to read the third book- Caught in Time. I noticed that Author, McElwain didn’t use the word ‘Mayhap’ as much in this book, as that was one of my only complaints in A Murder in Time. The book twist together a great mystery in 19th century London during the season and portrays Kendra using what 21st century investigation skills she is able to use to solve crime. 


What can I say besides Chef’s Kiss?


As always, my review can be found on Goodreads here.

Comments

Popular Posts