A Review of Rose Petal Graves by Olivia Wildenstein

 Rating 2.8/5 Stars


Catori was not the type of girl to believe in fairytales, regardless of what her mother told her growing up. Though, that changed the day after her mother died, when the fae came into her life. Growing up in north-eastern Michigan along the coast of Lake Michigan, Catori is a descendent of the Gottowa peoples, a long dead tribe and the enemies of the fae. It seemed as if her mother’s death had triggered an age-old battle between the two rivals. 


I’m going to start with the fact that the author has made the statement saying that the “Gottowa Tribe” is a made-up tribe “loosely based” on the Anishinaabe or Ojibwe people. She claims to have made up this tribe so she did not anger Native Americans by writing about their culture. Well, as an Ojibwe woman myself, if there’s anything that offends me, it is the fact that she did indeed make up a tribe based on my people, and didn’t have the gall to properly research them or their beliefs. Along with the made up tribe, there is a made up language “loosely” based on the Anishinaabemowin language, a language that was lost to my family because of white people, but that’s besides the point. Let’s just say that the whole “Native American” element here is poorly researched and not only makes the author look foolish but it kind of makes the book well, not as great as it could have been. 


I also want to know why nobody has mentioned anything about this poorly researched and fictional tribe. 


The next topic I want to hit is the fact that this takes place in Michigan. I received this book in Audiobook format from Netgalley- A huge thanks to them and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book. If you’re going to make a story take place in a state like Michigan, you’re going to have to do extensive research on what coastal towns in Michigan are like, especially those with a Native population. Moreso, research into the dialect would have been nice. Listening to the narrator pronounce and butcher names of cities like Traverse City and even call shopping carts “trolleys” (Not what they’re called in Michigan by the way!) At least look into the local dialect because the dialect in Michigan is a lot different than say, the dialect in New York.


I would also like to touch base on how flat the characters are. Catori is so flat and boring. She’s angry and I get that. She wanted to leave her hometown and escape and was dragged back all because her now dead mom decided she wanted to mess with her dead descendants. Yeah, I get it, but at least try to give the girl some personality. Catori is about as bad to read as Bella from Twilight. Though, should’ve seen that coming as the author describes this book as “Twilight but with fairies”. To me it seems like Kajik is the most complex character in the story, and I believe that party to be because he has a part of Blake in him. 


I will admit that towards the end I became a bit more intrigued. Honestly, part of me wants to continue on with the series. Though, another larger part of me wants to shove this book away and pretend that I’ve not read it. I know for sure that if I do plan on continuing the series, that I will not be purchasing this book, and if I do choose to finish them out, it will honestly be due to pure curiosity, not that I really found this book all too enjoyable. There was just too much wrong about it that would allow me to truly enjoy the book. Like I said, I did enjoy the concept and towards the end I got a bit curious- mostly because I don’t like things being unfinished- but there’s so much wrong with this book that it’s kind of disgusting. 


I got this book as an audiobook from Netgalley and the publisher. All thoughts and views of this book are my own. 


Comments

Popular Posts